23.2.09

YUM!

David has been helping a fellow PhD student, Fred, with his proposal presentation (he proposes today!). So, as a "Thank You" Fred wanted to take us out to dinner. :o)

We went to a restaurant that is pretty close to our apartment. À Côté. I'm pretty sure it is called this because it is right next to another restaurant that the head chef owns. We were lucky to have the Chef there the night we went too. His other restaurant was given a 1 star (the highest rating for any restaurant in Metz ...3 is the highest overall though). So around Metz he is pretty well known.

Most of the seats in the restaurant are bar-style so that you can see all the cooks cooking. It was fun being able to see our food throughout all its stanges of preparation. But, you'd think that I would know how to make all of it now, right? Ha. We saw it all the time, but sometimes it would pop up looking totally different than the last time we saw it. It was like magic!

I had fois gras, and David had calamari for appetizers, then I had a duck "burger" (nothing like a burger you would picture) and David had jarret de veau (veal). They were both delicious, but I have to admit, I think the duck was better. Then for dessert I had cheesecake (just like American cheesecake!) and David had a fancy milkshake-like dessert. It was wonderful. And it wasn't too much food because this is one of those restaurants where you don't get too much becasue they serve everything as if it were meant to be a decoration for your plate.

It has been one of our goals to eat out a little bit more so that we know of good restaurants in the area to recommend to people. Plus, we won't live in France forever...but I WILL be cooking forever... Sorry I don't have pictures. I guess if you really want to know what it was like you'll just have to come visit us and we'll take you there! :o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eating out a little more in order to provide recommendations is a GREAT idea. I'm glad you're doing this.