17.9.08

The city n'est pas ma tasse de thé

Franglais translation: "The city is not my cup of tea."

This past Sunday the weather was beautiful, unlike Saturday - it rained all day long, so David and I took Duncan for a nice long walk. Our goal was the top of the "mountain" that we can see from our window. So we headed towards it the best way we knew how. After walking an hour and a half, and trying to use bus stop maps to help us, we found ourselves at the end of a paved road leading up into a forest-like area. In we went! Within the next 20 minutes we passed an old military fort (we plan to go back with flashlights and actually go inside), met a dog that was the same color as Duncan (he was naturally white, but had really enjoyed his muddy walk), and made it to the top of the mountain. Once atop we turned over our left shoulders to see the top of the mountain that we were actually intending to climb. Oops. Regardless, we felt accomplished.

Anyway, while we were walking we passed through a town called Plappeville. It was beautiful. It was laid out more like a neighborhood and we walked by a couple houses that smelled as though they had fires burning in their fireplaces. The view was amazing because the entire time we had been walking up so we could see down onto the town of Metz...we saw the cathedral and some other things close to our apartment. We even walked by an automatic baguette dispenser. Yes, you read that correctly. It was like a vending machine for baguettes! I've never seen anything like it and was kicking myself for not having any change with me. The slot, where you pick up your item, was baguette length. It was Sunday, so the bakery was closed therefore this was a brilliant idea! I just wish I knew if those baguettes were any good...they don't last that long before they are hard as a rock.

So the point of all this is that while we were walking I realized that I really don't like living in the city. I don't like the smells, the noise, the mess, the crowds, the lack of space... Not that we're going to move while we're here, but I think I know now that when we leave, we will not be looking for homes within a city. And I think Duncan agrees. He wants a yard.

In other news
  • I'll be starting English lessons again soon. Probably next week.
  • David got some movies from the internet server at the student dorms. We watched Enchanted (very funny), Be Kind Rewind (wasn't as good as I exected, but had it's moments), Stardust (weird...a combination of at least 3 different movies), and have begun and old season of 24 that I haven't seen, but David has. We have some other ones too, but haven't watched them yet.
  • I think I've figured out how to survive morning walks with Duncan when it gets colder. It involves buying one of these awesome electric water heaters (WAY faster then waiting for water to boil), a thermos, and tea or cappuccino mixes.
  • I'm loving the down blanket that Katherine got me - how have I survived without it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No pictures of the view? How can you build it up with no pictures!? That seems unlike you...