29.9.08

Sun Swing and Swim

Lately, here in Metz, the weather has been great! But I have to give you a few statistics.

Since we first arrived back in France I have been keeping track of the weather each day. Rain or no rain, that is the extent of my tracking. For the first month I am able to report this: 41% of the days we had rain and 59%, no rain. (Aug 20th - Sept 20th). Although, recently we have had 10 straight days of NO RAIN! It really has been amazing. There were only a few days during this time where it was overcast too. Mostly sun! I'm glad that Metz weather isn't ruining my opinion of my favorite season :o)

It has been really great for Duncan too because he isn't used to living with no sun. He used to sit in the sun everyday back in Georgia on the porch. Luckily, we have one window in our apartment that gets direct sunshine when it's out. Below you can see him basking in the rays! He ends up following it as it moves across the room so that he can lay in the warmth the whole time it lasts...sometimes I do it with him.
We've also been able to go on a lot of really nice walks each afternoon. I've walked around more of Metz than I ever have before. Even though we have all this sun, you still have to remember that it's chilly outside. On our walks I still have to wear a jacket. The temperature has been around 65 degrees.

Good news about the weather, huh? Well, David and I have figured that it can't last forever. In fact, God only promised to never flood the entire earth again...so we are a little concerned about the future of France. Ha! Seriously though, rain is supposed to hit us either later today or tomorrow.

Yesterday, we were lucky to get some free tickets! We got to see some of the Moselle Open tennis tournament. I've never been to a tennis tournament before and it was interesting. We watched most of one match between a South African guy and a Swedish guy. It was neat because whenever they got frusterated or needed to talk to the official, they spoke in English so we were able to understand what they were saying. I wonder how much of what the official was saying to the crowd they understood.
It was also kind of strange to watch an indoor tennis match. I've always played outside, so by default, I expect to see it played outside. When we walked into the arena it was very quiet except for the squeaking of tennis shoes and the bounce of the tennis ball. I guess that is what a golf tournament is like. It was fun to watch the people on the front rows. Their heads would go back and forth and back and forth following the ball...very stereotypical, yet proven true. And the kids that are in charge of running after the balls and making sure that the server is fully stocked were pretty funny too.

Tonight our scuba diving club starts up again. David is very excited of course. He always says that Monday nights are the highlight of his week. It will be a little different this year because the other students from GTL who participated with us aren't here anymore and we will be practicing with a different group of people because we've already been certified at a higher level. Plus our favorite instructor will remain with the level 1s, so we will get a different guy...we don't know who yet.

No comments: