26.2.07

Chef Susan

What is this beautiful assortment of meals before you, you ask? This is a sample of some of the things that I have made since I've been here. David has helped with a few...so let me explain them to you...

top left: This is a picture of the first "real meal" that we made after arriving here in Metz. Fajita Tacos! We had just been eating pasta for a few days because David had not yet received his scholarship money, so we were very excited to have, the first of many, taco dinners.

top middle: Here you will see my vegetable soup. It is inspired from the weight watchers 'pointless soup' recipe that my Dad used to make, but is this one pointless? I couldn't tell you. It was yummy though.
top right: This, my friends, is the most yummy dessert made in our apartment yet. Thanks to John's girlfriend Alex, we had a recipe for a cake. The amazing part of this cake recipe is that it is used for whatever kind of cake you want. Everything is the same (3 ingredients) until the very end, when you usually add some kind of fruit for a flavor. Here we used apples and cinnamon, and served it with vanilla ice cream. Aside from a slight baking issue, it ended up being delicious! I will be making this again, in numerous flavors (especially chocolate).
middle left: Our Asian dish! A concoction of rice, onions, peppers, egg, peas, and sweet and sour sauce, and you have this very colorful and tasty Asian delight.
middle middle: Haha. If this picture makes you want to gag, just a little even, please, feel free. This is what we now refer to as Shrek Swamp Soup...with eyeballs. Why? Cause that is what it looks like, and probably an accurate description of what it tasted like. It was a soup mix (supposed to be a potato flavored soup) that tasted pretty bad, so we added mushrooms...they helped, but still...tasted bad and then looked like it was full of eyeballs.
middle right: Here we have lemon pepper chicken, broccoli, and potatoes. Very tasty...and David's favorite part was the steamed broccoli. Interesting, huh?
bottom left: I think we can call this our second best meal so far. Here we have a very french style salad (on the left) that includes corn, tomatoes, and carrots (usually eaten with balsamic vinaigrette dressing). Then, the most successfully baked chicken we've had so far, with broccoli and baguette. MMmm.
bottom middle: You all have seem this one before, but I had to include it again. My very first apple tart. Since this one I've made them with cinnamon because the taste is far superior. I'm really looking forward to strawberry season though. I think a strawberry tart will be the best :o)
bottom right: This, by far, has been our best meal yet. You guessed it lasagna! My very first, ever, homemade lasagna. I was incredibly surprised by how successful this one was since it was the first time I've ever made one, but it has definitely been added to the list of meals to have again, and again...

David has also made a few meals with fish we have bought from the covered market. They have been wonderful also. So, like I said before, this is just a sample.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have also never made homemade lasagna. (How did that happen to us? Aren't we part Italian!?!?) Can you convert the units for me and send me the recipe?

Unknown said...

I didn't use a recipe. I just guessed the amounts and had an idea of all the ingredients...sorry.