21.2.07

Shopping!

Today I went shopping...grocery shopping. Yeah, it isn't that big of a deal, except that this is the first time I have gone alone. David and I have been going because he is the only one with a 'debit' card and it usually takes two of us to carry what we buy. UNTIL now! The Pounds have been nice enough to give us their old shopping cart. No not the typical shopping cart (aka "buggy") that you use while you are in the store. A personal one, for people who walk to and from the grocery store...because they don't have a car, or because they live in the city. Since we fit into both categories, this makes a lot of sense for us. So, as you can see, our shopping cart has a lot of character.



It is very European looking, no? That is green and blue leather :o) hehe. But I can't complain, it was free. So when you have a shopping cart, this is what it looks like with groceries in it: Ok, so to go along with my first time solo-shopping there is also a good story. How could there not be? I'm in another country where I don't speak the language. Here goes...

So I had finished shopping and was going to stand in line when this little old man started walking toward where I was standing. He got closer and closer to the point where it was obvious that he wanted to get in front of me. He looked at me and started to say something to me (quickly, and in french) so I just assumed that he wanted to get in front of me, and eventually let him. Then, while he was unloading his basket on to the conveyor belt he continued talking to me. I, of course, didn't understand what in the world he was saying, so I just looked at him with a face that must me "I don't understand a word you're saying." Eventually he asked me if I spoke french (in french! I understood that!). And I said "a little" (in french) :o) Then, and I still have no idea why, he started saying "football, football..." while kicking with his foot (because he is talking about european football - soccer) So I was like "ahhh", like ' I understand.' So, I'm guessing that he might have been in a hurry to get to a soccer game? Or else he must have thought that I really like soccer??? I have NO idea. Oh well.

Other than that, I was successfully able to pay for the groceries, put the food in my cart, and go back home. Fwew. I'm sure it could have been worse. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad - it was funny/interesting.

As a result of my shopping trip I will soon be making lasagna! Yum! And tonight we successfully had properly cooked chicken, steamed broccoli, and a very french style salad (tomatoes, carrots, and corn with balsamic vinegarette dressing). There will be pictures coming soon of many of the meals and things I have made.

We hope you all are doing very well, and we hope to hear from many of you - and hopefully see many of you, soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Broccoli... very healthy! Keep it up :) I love the shopping cart. I think you should give it a nickname. I can't think of anything creative right now, but I'm sure you will.