9.4.07

Easter Weekend

I'm back in France! I was lucky enough to get a flight out on Thursday the 5th so that I could be home for Easter Weekend. I was in Georgia for a full 2 weeks, but under the impression that I could be there for over a month. Thankfully that wasn't the case - I think David would have gone crazy. But it was very nice to see my family and David's family, and my sister's family, and everyone while I was home, so I'm grateful I was able to make the trip. Although I did miss David's birthday...but we already know what we are going to do to make up for it - Luxembourg...SpiderMan 3...ChiChi's (Yummy Mexican food).

Friday, when I got home I was very sleepy from traveling. I wasn't able to get the kind of sleep I had the first time traveling to France by myself. The other passengers on the plane with me were a little bit more rowdy, and I couldn't sleep as well as I would have liked on the train. This time, I flew into Frankfurt, Germany. It was much less complicated than having to navigate with lots of luggage through Paris, but I do have one complaint. All their information booths were electronic. Sometime's you just need to talk to a person. I ended up having to ask the currency exchange lady a question. But, most people in the Frankfurt airport speech very good english...except for a little old lady that was standing outside one of the doors...

Friday night David made a quiche for dinner. It was delicious. I was very impressed - see, he can survive without me! We slept very late on Saturday morning. I don't know if it was because of my jet lag or just because I was tired from traveling, but either way it felt great. Saturday we had plans to go ice skating. The last time we tried it was closed and we didn't realize it. See:

("Dimanche" means "Sunday" and we tried to go in the "evening" = "soir") See the problem? Katherine and David were very surprised. :o)
Now that we knew the hours of operation we were able to go at a time when they were actually open. It was fun.

Then, on Sunday, Easter Sunday, we woke up early, prepared some deviled eggs and a roast and headed off to church...a little late. Our service was pretty good...I guess. I read the scripture that he was speaking on, but still can't understand enough to fully listen to the sermon. We also had the Lord's Supper (my first time here in France) which was neat. Instead of whatever kind of bread we use at home, they used baguette. Yummy. But I shouldn't have been surprised - we ARE in France! After church we came home to an apartment full of guests (we had given them our key so they could come in after their service). Our roast was cooking, mashed potatoes were being started, and veggies were being munched on. We continued cooking and then ate a huge and yummy Easter Lunch. We also shared some Easter Traditions with each other. Alex brought some to share about her French traditions, Katherine brought some eggs to color and some eggs to hide, and David and I shared about the Swafford tradition of taking a nap after any holiday meal :o)

Alex brought a huge chocolate Easter Egg (the size of a small football) that each child in her family usually gets (but we all shared it) along with some other candies. After all the eating we all talked for a long while and then sat down with full stomachs to watch a movie. At this point the Swafford nap time was demonstrated by David and picked up by a few others. Then everyone left. David and I went on a walk because it was so nice outside then went back home. We didn't have much for dinner that night because we were still pretty full, especially from chocolate.
Since I've been back my allergies haven't been that bad. My eyes have definitely felt better but I'm still a little stuffed up and my throat has been very scratchy. I can't tell whether my allergy symptoms are slowly going away or am I also allergic to some things here. There has to be something here I'm allergic too... We'll see how the next few days treat me. David had a holiday from work again today. I think it was the perfect weekend to come home to.

2 comments:

The BOB-O said...

so... i'm a little sad that i missed out on seeing you since you got to go early, but happy to hear that you get to be back in France already...
I miss you guys and hope you're both doing well... maybe i can get over that way... i want to, I just don't know if it can happen just yet...

Anonymous said...

wow you guys went all out. that easter egg is insane...do we even have anything that big here that we can buy? i have never seen that before. Also, is there pollen there yet or are you guys still in the "winter mode" weather-wise?

Usually allergies don't continue after the allergen is gone right?