13.4.07

Pleasantries.

This morning David and I got up early to go to the Prefecture - this is similar to a DMV in the US. The purpose of this trip was for me to apply for my carte du sejour - this is similar to a green card in the US.

Just like the horror stories and bad experiences you would hear about from an experience at a DMV, the same is usually true about the prefecture. Therefore, we went with the mind set that this would talk all morning and be very frustrating.

Good news! We had a very pleasant experience today. They opened at 8:30am and we arrived a little before then and waited outside in the "line" that had been forming.

(I say "line" because I still have yet to see French people that understand the concept of standing one behind another to wait your turn...they just like to merge together slowly and whoever happens to have pushed they way to the front will get to be first. This is very frustrating having been raised in a culture where taking turns and walking single file was highly stressed.)
Once we made it inside the building it was everyman for himself! A mad dash to the ticket machine to get a number. Not everyone gets in the same line so prior knowledge of which line to approach is crucial for success. They started counting at 700...my number was 713. Not bad.

While we were waiting David decided to check out what was necessary to have his address changed on his carte du sejour (since he's moved off campus). We determined that he could probably assemble all the paperwork he needed while we were waiting so that he could go ahead and take care of his too. So he got a number...721. He left to go buy a stamp and get an envelope while I started making copies of the documentation that he needed (because I had just about everything with me from having to get a visa).

While he was gone the numbers jumped from 701 to 709 very quickly and I didn't think he would make it back in time to go with me into the room. Luckily, just as my number was being called he walked in the door and we went back together. The man took my paperwork, said everything was good, prepared my receipt and saw that David had a piece of paper as well. After David told him that he was also going to change his address, he said "We can go ahead and take care of that now." ! Amazing...David wouldn't need to wait for 721 to be called, he was going to go ahead and process everything. THIS we did not expect at all. The guy was very nice. He let David go back outside, take the ID photos he needed, and then finish the process. So, we got both of our issues taken care of at the same time - oh the benefits of marriage.

I guess I am so excited to tell you all of this because it doesn't seem like this kind of efficiency and willingness to help is seen very often. Here or in the US...especially at places like this. Just think of how much happier people would be if this were a more common place occurrence!

The next step to obtaining the carte du sejour is a medical exam (chest x-ray) and then waiting many months for the card to actually be ready. But this is doable...no rush.

On another note, I am very excited about what I'm making for dinner tonight! It will be a surprise to David, but since he never reads this I can tell you. I'm going to make zucchini fritters! They sound so yummy. I just stumbled across the recipe the other day when I was actually hoping to find something neat to do with yellow squash...but I haven't even seen yellow squash at the store yet, so this works even better. I will make something else to go with them but I'm not sure what yet...maybe something with mushrooms...I have a lot of mushrooms. Oooo, I could make stuffed mushrooms...I have spinach! Yes! Dinner tonight will be delicious!

-=Later in the day =-
stuffed mushrooms
(spinach, butter, garlic, onion, parmesan)
fritters cooking...

finished fritters

(zucchini, scallions, egg, pepper, four)


They were very good. Something I will be making again. It's just a little time consuming without specific kitchen utensils.

No comments: